Cleaning Safety Tips For Kids
- Educate your child about safety hazards in the home
- Teach children the importance of cleaning for health
- Always read product labels
- Importance of wearing gloves
- Dangers of harsh fumes and proper ventilation
- Toxic gas formed by bleach and ammonia
- Dangers of product spills on clothes and carpets
- Pet issue, the importance of lid safety after using
- Vacuum bag changing, and what not to vacuum
- Salmonella and e-coli on surfaces
- Mixing chemicals, the harsh realities
- Ruining surfaces by scratching or using harsh products
- Use the “tell, show, do” method to avoid mishaps
- Tell the child about the task, supplies needed and why, and how to do it
- Show the child the exact way you want it done
- Do, let the child do the task while you are watching, check work, repeat if necessary
- Make tasks age appropriate-many cleaning accidents occur because children are trying to mimic the parent, yet they do not understand the dangers.
- 3-5 years old - stick with dusting, loading dishes, light jobs for short attention span
- 6-10 years old - move up to folding towels, wall washing spot cleaning walls, washing baseboards
- 10-16 years old - train on product usage, safety label reading and they can move into mopping, restroom cleaning, spot cleaning, kitchen sanitation etc.
- 16+ Your child should have all the basic fundamentals on cleaning a home!